12/2/16

Time for HOLIDAY PHOTO CARDS!


It's that time of year when the holiday photo cards start arriving from people you might not even remember. Eventually, if you're not really fond of them, the photos end up in the trash or stuck in the bottom of a drawer because you just can't bear tossing such nice people.

The people in this photo are unknown to me. In fact I got this second hand as a very nice gift for my birthday. I'm very easy to buy for.

Click on image to see it larger.

Over the next few weeks I'll be participating in Sepia Saturday by deconstructing a very interesting and unusual Victorian Christmas photo. Each weekend I'll post a portion of this photo rolling it out in pieces like a taunting relative who gives you tiny hints about what they've bought you for Christmas. Shake the box all you want, but you'll not find out what it is until Christmas Eve.

_____

An American Dream is the latest book in my series of vernacular photography books. The American dream of owning a home through vintage vernacular photographs. The focus is on the people who lived within the homes as well as the varied architecture from the late 1800s to the 1960s.

21 comments:

  1. I've tried shaking the box, to no avail. You're right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you the box has already been shaken and it's all over the floor. But you'll see that eventually.

      Delete
  2. I agree, people do sometimes include photos and you wonder what to do with them, although these days Christmas newsletters seem to have taken over a bit. Interesting in their way but hardly worth saving. I look forward to your next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're saved and show the aging of a children it can often be interesting. But my folks used to get ones each year showing (bragging) about some exotic place the people had vacationed. Those were just annoying.

      Delete
  3. This is going to be VERY interesting...I can see the top of a rather scraggly tree, a photo on the wall, the mirror showing an open door and what looks like a head of broccoli...I rather doubt that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broccoli! I like that! In some respects you're not far off.

      Delete
  4. You tease. You know how to keep us guessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to love to tease me. Drove me nuts. Her father had done it to her. So I guess you guys can blame it on my grandfather.

      Delete
  5. An interesting way to make us keep coming back for more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh ohh ohh, I can hardly wait. Is it Mister Robot? A 200 piece chemistry set? A pony?

    It better not be socks. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No socks. But how about Paul McCartney and Paul Simon? You'll see. You'll see.

      Delete
    2. ...or underwear ... FTL whites... and white handkerchiefs... I think I had 60 white handkerchiefs from my grand mom before she died.

      Delete
    3. I got hankies from a great aunt for high school graduation. They proved as useful to me as the jewelry I got. Never used any of it. But it was nice of her to think of me. Dear Aunt Nell.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Oh no, now I fear disappointment coming.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea. Looking forward to seeing the full photograph emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea! I'm already intrigued by the snippet you've taunted us with ... I love the glimpse of the door in the mirror and what looks to be a lacy/fringed covering on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea with the Victorian photo, can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree about what people send us in cards...and I seldom get any cards, probably because I stopped sending out Christmas cards many many years ago! It also was cumbersome for people to keep changing my address in their little books about the 20th time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in a military family, with the constant moves, my folks had a very lengthy card list. It took my mother days and days to complete all the cards and get them mailed. But in return they got a ton of cards that we hung on ribbons across a wooden screen from the Philippines. Now only a few cards come in because my friends and I simply aren't willing to pay the costly expense the card companies want. But I do miss that screen covered with colorful cards.

      Delete