8/18/15

On a SUMMER DAY…Main Street Might Be Empty


I'm thinking somewhere in the Midwest and it's HOT. Staying in the shadows is one way to survive until the hopefully cooling breeze of the evening.


Click on image to see it larger.

There's a vertical sign that can be seen in the enlarged image that has had a few of us stumped until Mike Brubaker came along to solve the puzzle.
I'm no expert in farming, but I do like Scrabble. The mystery sign is likely advertising "DeLaval Cream Separators", first patented in 1887. One of those useful devices that only dairy farmers pay attention to, while the rest of us wonder whether half-n-half is half good or half bad for our cholesterol.
To read about Gustav de Laval, the inventor of the DeLaval Cream Separator click here.

Thanks Mike!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing how, in just a few decades, there are more cars than people it seems.

    The street pole has something written on it - I can't quite make it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the image larger doesn't help to determine what it says. I believe the first letter might be hidden. So what I can see, with underscores for the missing letters:

    _ ELAVAL CRE_ _ _ _ ARATORS

    Any idea what this might mean? Sort of like playing hangman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no expert in farming, but I do like Scrabble. The mystery sign is likely advertising "DeLaval Cream Separators", first patented in 1887. One of those useful devices that only dairy farmers pay attention to, while the rest of us wonder whether half-n-half is half good or half bad for our cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You solved the mystery. Never in my lifetime would I have come up with this. I've got a link I'll post.

      Delete