10/4/09

Mr. Roberts and A REALLY BIG TREE


The final in the series, for now, of Mr. Roberts and friend. This one was taken at the Wawona Tree in Yosemite. The tree was hollowed out in 1881 and fell down in 1969. 

Mr. Roberts_Wawona tree_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

I can't really explain what it's like to see a really giant tree lying flat on the ground. I was standing next to one up along the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt County, California last fall and the story about it falling includes a neighbor miles away saying when it came down it sounded like a huge train wreck. Nobody was there to witness it falling, but it took several other trees down at the same time. And if you're thinking "big" tree I'm talking BIG TREE. You'd stand at the roots and you couldn't see the other end. Redwood forests are amazing places. Now people cutting holes through redwood trees so nutcases can drive thru, not so crazy about that. However, I did ride through this one as a child in a green Oldsmobile. For a kid it was a pretty interesting experience.

To see old postcards of the Wawona Tree and other drive-thru trees click on Image-Archeology.com.  And to read a wee bit about Redwoods click here. 

3 comments:

  1. I remember seeing the photos of a tree with a road through it when I was a kid. I always wished I could see it in real life.

    I wonder if any of them with roads through still exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just talking about the Redwoods the other night while watching Ken Burns' PBS doc on America's parks. I've never seen them and must remedy that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eloh,

    Yes, there are still trees here in California you can drive thru. I know of one about 2 hours from where I live. And my father was reminding me of the photo he has of the Oldsmobile we went to Yosemite and Sequoia in the mid-50s sitting on top of a downed tree. He just drove up on top of it.

    Willow,

    Redwoods are worth a special trip. The giant Sequoias south of Yosemite and the incredible forest in Humboldt County, the Avenue of the Giants. You simply can't imagine what these trees are like. You have to see them. Some of them are so enormous. I really do love these trees. They take your breath away.

    ReplyDelete