7/8/09

INSTANT FUN almost

 
Raise your hand if your first camera was a Kodak Instamatic. No, not necessarily the first camera you ever used, but the first camera that WAS yours. For me it was my trusty little Instamatic, as shown here in this ad from 1964. 

Kodak Instamatic Camera ad 1964_tatteredandlost
Click on image to see it larger.

I can still remember it in its black and yellow Kodak box. My folks bought it for me at the Navy Exchange. Up until then I'd used various Brownies that had belonged to my mom. But this one was all mine. Of course my folks bought the film and paid for the processing so I was very cautious with what I took shots of. But this little camera went on many vacations, photographed many friends, and even made it to a few rock concerts, where I managed to take really nice flash shots of the back of the head of the person in front of me.

I had one of the originals that required little flash bulbs, but my friend had one with a flash cube. I still have the mental image of her licking the bottom of that cube before putting it in place on the top of the camera. Not sure where she learned that trick. Not sure I remember licking the little flash bulbs mine used. Maybe it was just something she enjoyed doing. I do know we tried to push those little cameras far beyond what they were capable of doing. And she took some damned interesting shots by putting a faceted stone in front of the lens. The Mad Hatter at a Be-In was the one I remember the most.

Unfortunately my little camera doesn't look so great now. It's in a drawer, still in the leather case I had for it, but parts look rusted. And to my dismay I find that there is a roll of film still in it. That film has to date back to at least the 70s. I would love to see what's on it. Perhaps photos of my mom and dad that I would give anything to see. Most likely the film is simply too far gone to even show anything and I doubt I could find anyone to process it. I also have an unopened box of film for the little gem. All stuff to just put up on a shelf now for fond memories. That's what vernacular photographs are all about. Our memories and those of others. My camera is tattered but not lost.

15 comments:

  1. Hey, I had one of those, really cutting edge at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know? Mine looked exactly like that one in the ad, too. Fond memories, for sure. I'm not sure what happened to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a cool little camera, wasn't it? Very 60s with the little wrist strap so you could swing it on your wrist and look all photo flirty. I bet if I dragged out some old Seventeen magazines from the period I'd find models with Instamatics dangling from their wrists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the great malapropisms ever, heard on a PBS documentary:

    "She wanted me to move out, like, instamatically."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is brilliant! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My year older than me sister was blessed to have a Brownie waiting for her under the tree one year. I was certain one of the elves had messed up and put her name on the tag, instead of mine. No one ever knew my dismay. Not even Santa. Nickels and dimes saved up later, I kinged myself with an Instamatic! Definitely camera Heaven, the only way to fly! (And don't you know it!) Thanks for the memories-- lovely blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thrilled there are so many Instamatic fans out there. It was a lovely little compact design. Really good design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had one too, around the same time, but started with a Brownie, which oddly enough, took better pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maureen, I found a Brownie Hawkeye pamphlet in a drawer. I'll try to get around to scanning some of it in the next couple weeks. You might enjoy seeing it. Not sure if I'll post it here or at the ephemera site. I'll let you know. I also think I have the pamphlet that came with my Instamatic but can't think where I put it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7/09/2009

    We must have learned the spit-on-the-flash bulb trick from Richard.
    It had to do with contact. Sometimes those flashes didn't go off. They were more dependable with a little moisture on the contact point.

    thanks for remembering the Mad Hatter

    I remain,
    Your Inadequate model and friendly Hippie assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it must have been Richard. He would have known those things. He was so urban. A bit confused, but urban.

    And I remain the voice of thousands...or at least a dozen or more at the same time. Hoping to keep you confused.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a brownie box camera that my brother gave me. I loved. I wonder what happened to it? I took pictures of the River Tay freezing over in Scotland but what year was that??¿¿

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosie, You know I've lost mine too, but I know it's in this house. I had it out of the cabinet a few months ago and know I put it somewhere but can't find it. More and more things seem to be going missing, put away in my safe places I guess. There's got to be a big pile somewhere of all this stuff. I hope someday you find yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tons of places will process 126 film...and if it was kept room temp and not in a hot attic you can get images. I bought a instamatic on ebay and it had film from the 70s and the images were fine. Blue Moon photo, Fairview photo near Cleveland just a google search. Blue moon and frugal photographer sell 126 still being made in Italy. You can with a little finesse use 35mm in the instamatic

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tom, thanks for the information! I'll actually check around here in Northern California to find a place. I would like to see what's on the roll. Doubt the camera can be used anymore. I imagine it's got battery damage. That ends up being the biggest problem with old cameras. Left alone for years with batteries inside. My father lost his favorite Rollei because of battery damage. Can't be repaired. I will look around for someone to develop this film. Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete